Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Interior Architecture: Yes, this is exactly what it looks like...

Those who are familiar my work know that it revolves around people in one form or another... that seems to be my specialty. Now, I can say that architecture and interiors are a feather in my cap too!Recently, I was given a chance to photograph unique interior architecture for three new clients. I was enthusiastic and welcomed the opportunity... as I always do. However, I have never photographed architecture or interiors to this capacity. And just like that upon securing the contracts I had my work cut out for me. I now had to do my homework. After some creative thinking, planing, research and advice from colleagues I was ready to start shooting.
Along the way I learned that shooting interiors and architecture is hard work! Harder then it seems. It's intense, and I love it! We had to approach this type of photography with a whole different mindset because techniques that work for portraits and people don't necessarily work for architecture. My constant challenge was that I could never be far back enough against the wall, or at the rite eye level where everything aligned perfectly. There was always a compromise to make. Glare and reflections were another issue, sometimes that worked to our advantage, most of the time it didn't. In comparison to working with people, we had to slow down our production time because for many of the images multiple exposures had to be made in order to render detail in both the highlights and in the shadows. So, with that in mind here is how we created these images...

  • Photographed to incorporate ambient light.
  • Introduced our own light with respect to the room ambiance.
  • Like with portraits, found the photogenic side of the room.
  • Photographed the interiors while eliminating as many distractions as possible.
  • Preserved integrity of the structure as architect/interior designer intended.
Much of this was achieved on location and the rest was achieved in post-production.

No comments: